Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Pushing Hard Towards Spring


Another Jelly Roll Race - 

Sometimes it is fun to get off the "to-do list" and try something just for fun. I tried the Jelly Roll Race Quilt again with better results this time. I found a bin of neutral strips I had stashed away and brought those out with a few added red and brown(ish) squares. It took me a little over 3 hours but I have to add an extra day to cut and piece the borders I added.


This quilt is quite heavy for its size. I am using a plain muslin backing and pieced batting pieces (see previous post). It is all basted together and ready to be machine quilted...by me. I have only done one small baby quilt on my Domestic Sewing Machine so this will be an adventure!


Abby's Wish - 

Another unfinished quilt that has been stored away since beginning it in 2002. This pattern was taken from BH&G American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine's, Quilt Sampler 2002. 





I had all the blocks completed but never got them joined together. I was really, really skimping on the sashing and border fabric! That is where I got stuck and why I put it in the closet until now.  I barely got by, and if you look very closely, you can see where I added an alternative fabric that is a close match. The lesson here is to be sure you have enough border fabric before you start! Ugh! This was painful, but it is now assembled and has been taken to my Machine Quilter. I can't wait to see it come back and I'll put the binding on so I can claim another finish.

This makes the 7th quilt top finished this year...but it is not a quilt until it is quilted so...well, you know!

Spring is in the air! Things will slow down in the sewing room soon as we get busy outdoors. It is a thrill to get my hands dirty and smell that fresh earth scent!!

Happy stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment