Monday, May 18, 2015

Discouraging news

We were wondering why our Corylus avellena 'Contorta' (corkscrew hazelnut, or Harry Lauder's Walking Stick) was not leafing out this spring.
We had a hard and cold winter this past year and at first we thought that was the cause, but when we looked closer we found all these cankers. They are covering 70 - 80% of the plant so I am afraid it must come down. 

I will definitely be looking for a replacement. I love the silhouette of these shrubs. Especially in winter when the knarly branches are so showy in the snow. 

This was an especially nice plant because all the years we had it, it never grew up any suckers. 







Another shrub that is giving me grief is my Korean Lilac. She has grown to be 8 foot tall and nearly 10 feet wide but an area on one side is dying off. 

I'll have to prune this out with the hopes that it will come back. She is nearly 12 years old and was given to me on Mother's Day by our daughter.




 

The asparagus bed is producing nicely. We are cutting nearly every day. And because we all love this vegetable none goes to waste!

Look at all those nubs! We have already cut a lot and more keep coming up - overnight it seems. Included there is a second year parsley plant that will go to seed this year (biannual). In the fall we will top dress this bed with compost to ensure a good crop again next year.

A fresh batch all washed and trimmed - ready to eat. I do not peel my asparagus. It is so tender it is really not needed. I just steam them until tender and enjoy with butter. So easy, healthy and free!!





My False Indigo is doing well again this year. I had to cut some of it out because it became so big last year it grew over the edging and killed the grass. I like to keep an "air barrier" between the house and the shrubs also. 

She is beginning to bloom already and will continue to bloom for another 5-6 weeks. The seed pods are really pretty too and can be used in dried arrangements. I'll have to pinterest this for some unique ideas. 

False Indigo is of the genus Baptisia and all parts of this plant  is poisonous. It is really an easy plant to grow once it is established. It does not like to be transplanted so find a spot for it and leave it alone. It will last for decades.
You can see from last year's picture how big this plant can get. It was quite a fight to cut out some of its roots so hopefully it will behave a for a few years before it needs to be thinned out again!

It reseeds itself also so I have to keep those in check. Overall this plant is so pretty the entire growing season that it is worth the effort. The stalks die off in late fall and makes its own mulch for the winter.







I have not had the chance to weed the corner perennial bed yet. The flowering onions, Johnson Blue geraniums, and creeping phlox are all in bloom. Soon the Japanese Iris and peonies will be blooming. 

I am anxious to explore and see what may have seeded from last year. I am sure I will find some cosmos and zinnias. 

The roses got bit over the winter too. All new stalks are growing so there will be no flowers or hips this year but I am glad they did not die from the cold. We should have covered them.

The apple trees have been pruned and sprayed, the garden is tilled and ready to plant, the side and back beds have been mulched, the yews and burning bushes have been cut back. I've been busy and hope to catch up soon so I can get back in the sewing room! 


 
I love the way the raindrops rest on the velvety leaves of Lady's Mantle. I believe there are fine hairs on the leaves that allow it to hold droplets of water. It is a very carefree plant that self seeds so I often have extras to give away. It flowers tiny chartreuse flowers and makes a nice companion to roses and daylilies but mine just grow wherever they pop up.



May is a busy month here in Zone 5.  It cuts into my sewing time but I love working outdoors in the fresh air, don't you? 

I'll have a finish to report soon though. Not all time has been spent outdoors. 









No comments:

Post a Comment