Saturday, January 30, 2016

A Fresh New Year with Fresh New Insights


2015 was a fairly productive year with 9 complete finishes, several tops done and ready for quilting, and a fun project making a Mermaid Tail for my grand-daughter at Christmas. I used up 68 yards of fabric BUT I gained little ground because I went to a garage sale of a "quilty" friend and bought over 80 yards from her! She is a former quilt-shop employee, and her treasures were priced as steals, so how could I resist? Well, now I have some quilt-shop quality fabrics for backings, etc. 

My UFO management has changed this year as I have come to realize I will not live long enough to make all the quilts I want to make (sound familiar?). So some new rules to live by in 2016 are:
  1. I shall be more careful about beginning new projects. I have gone through all cupboards and drawers, and have found 31 UFOs. It is time to finish or fling. I know this must be a common state for most quilters but I would like to get this number into single digits at least.
  2. I shall not purchase more fabrics unless it is to finish a UFO. The reality is, there is just so much room, and no more. I need and enjoy working in a tidy and organized space so I have reached my limit. 
  3. My priority list is printed and posted on the studio wall for reference and focus. Most of these projects are completed blocks that simply need assembled into a top. "Let's get this one done!" I have gone as far as stacking these priorities in pretty boxes on my trunk so I have to look at them every time I enter the room. Pinning a sample block on the wall helps too.
  4. My tastes and skills are changing. New starts and new beginnings these days are quilts with applique and hand piecing, (Thanks Quiltmania). The process of completing these into tops has slowed my progress down, but these are the quilts I really want to work on. Now is the time to get the old list done and move on to some heirloom quality quilts.
  5. I shall have one table-topper kit in the works each month. Can also be read as, "complete one table-topper kit each month." Yeah, I have enough for the year. These are nice quick projects for when you need a "finish fix". Nothing feels as good as that final stitch.

My design wall this month is holding one of my oldest UFOs...I think it is THE oldest - a wool comforter that was cut into squares in the 1980's. Many of these squares were cut from my school skirts. Those were the days of dress codes, remember? 


I originally planned to construct these blocks into Trip Around the World blocks set on the diagonal but because I just want to get these done, I have opted for 9-patch blocks set with sashings. Working with wool is way different than cottons. I have to clean my bobbin area after each fill up because of the lint. And nothing will lay those seams down except steam. See the difference?

I remember my mother telling me these comforters were typically backed with flannel and tied. I will definitely back it with flannel but I am not so sure about tying. Because it is wool and its heavy weight, should I use batting? Maybe a thin loft for body? 


My trail mix is coming together this month. I love how this has eaten up some of my stash. I hope it doesn't look like mud for I have used mostly scraps smaller than fat quarters. No other plan here. It just feels good to use up those odd sized pieces. These little 6 1/2" blocks are fun to piece too. So easy and so addictive. I think I have about 30 more blocks to finish.




I found an orphan block that I made during a hand piecing class in 1992. I loved that class as we learned how to hand piece Y seams and draft patterns on graph paper. This small 6" Dresden block was a leftover (so glad I kept it) so I hand quilted it, added narrow binding, and now I have a topper for my button basket. I'm charmed.




Another table-topper I accumulated somewhere (I did not make this top). I hand-quilted it so she is finished and on the gate-leg table now with my chalkware pug.


   
My name is moving up fast on the queen's list at Stashbusters. I fear I will have to pay the penalty without a finish soon. Time for some mojo to kick in. 

Hoping for a quilt-filled year.  




No comments:

Post a Comment