Wednesday, October 31, 2018

30's Block of the Month

My very first exposure to quilts was while spending the night at my dear Aunt Betty's house. My mother was tucking me in as she drew my attention to the many pieces that Aunt Betty had sewn together. Being so young, I did not appreciate the work involved, but I was intrigued with the pretty colors and prints. I've often wished I had one of her quilts as I remember they were so toasty warm. I always felt loved and safe in her home. Do you have similar memories of sleeping under a quilt made by a loving relative?


Now, many years later, I jumped in with the making of this project at my local quilt shop. Using designs that were popular in the 1930's, this block of the month sampler quilt was made using reproduction fabrics from that same era.



This Sunbonnet Sue block was described by my husband as Holly Hobbie. I told him no, she came about 40 years after Sue. Well, he tries. <grin> Other blocks include Dresden Plate, Jacob's Ladder, Bow-tie, Overall Sam, Card Tricks, Churndash, Hexagon Grandmother's Flower, and Bridal Bouquet.

I used pinwheels in its borders with the remaining fabrics I had leftover. And I STILL have leftovers! Well, I am presently working on restoring a Sunbonnet Sue quilt top made by another loving aunt for my niece so those scraps will work perfectly there.



My 30's Sampler Quilt finished at 70" x 70" and I used up 10 yards of stash. That brings my total yardage busted in finishes this year to 57 yards so far. I have not included the yardage from the three tablerunners I finished.

It may not be as pretty as the quilts I remember my Aunt Betty made, but it was a fun project. And it is finished. This is my 7th finish this year.

Now it is time for a warm and toasty nap under my 30's quilt...after giving a prayer of thanks for my dear Aunt Betty (1918 - 2013). 




No comments:

Post a Comment