Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Home Sweet Homes

I love little house blocks. And there are so many examples of these charming blocks on the web.  I finished my "Be My Neighbor" block of the month in 2018 but here I am again entertaining another quilt made from these simple house blocks.

It is really Kim Lapecek's fault to tempt me so. She is hosting a scrap quilt challenge (challenges are so self-motivating!) and is featuring the house block for the month of April. I have until April 2021 to finish a quilt using the house block and my box of scraps. Minimum size is 45" x 60". Now that is doable, right? 

So which pattern should I choose? Or should I combine different styles of blocks in rows? I have The Villages pattern so I will begin with there. And to commemorate the quarantine year, maybe socially space them further apart than directed in the pattern? Oh how our lives are changing...

I've already made one block as a test to see how well I like this pattern idea. Kim also gives a short tutorial for a version of her house block which has very little waste. I may try both.

I will be linking up at Kim Pacek's scrap challenge party today. And watch these fun little blocks grow into something to snuggle under. 

 
"These are unprecedented times."  seems to be a common phrase we hear repeated these days. So many good and bad examples and effects of this quarantine, and one is the amount of sew alongs that are being offered! I guess the good or bad part comes from whether you are keeping up with them or not. <grin> 

I've been trying to stay focused on my own list of projects but the quarantine mystery quilt project hosted by Edyta Sitar was one that was irresistible! And I am so glad I did NOT resist because it finished beautifully! Thank you Edyta! 100 blocks in 15 days!  I love her quilts! I love her style! I am driven to finish this top this week.




Another work in progress is my Bonnie Hunter Frolic Mystery quilt. I have all the blocks sewn together and am presently working on the border. This should be done soon and ready for my long arm quilter. 




And my Patches in Blue Block of the Month, by Edyta Sitar is past due for a finish. Once the above quilts are off the wall, I can get back to getting this one done to a flimsy stage of completion. 




Has anyone jumped in on Pat Sloan's Traffic Jam? It is a fun scrappy project and sews up fast! I have 25 blocks finished and ready for sashings. 



Scrap Challenges seem to be my weakness. Kim Lapacek of Persimon Dreams has monthly scrap challenges. You link up your committment to finish your quilt within the year. Requirements are minimal: size to be at least 45" X 60", entries must be completely finished, and must be "scrappy" (not matched using precuts). This month's focus is on house blocks. Since I already have the Village quilt pattern, and a bucket of scraps, I'm in!



With all the upcoming outdoor chores, this will surely keep me busy stitching some finishes for this quarter. I will be linking my projects on #2020falq2list







 

No comments:

Post a Comment