Thursday, April 22, 2021

Mitford in Spring

My Stars Over Mitford is finished and ready to cover my bed, Yes, this one is a keeper. It began as a project to use up my abundant supply of Civil War fabrics. And you know how that goes. It hardly made a dent, which is okay because I really love those old calico prints and colors. I hope they never go out of style. (as long as we keep asking for them, right?)


This block is similar to several sew-along designs I have found online. It was what motivated me to get it out of the box and finish it. It began as a project perhaps 5 years ago (?) all because I am a big fan of Jan Karon's Mitford series. I even have her cookbook! So you see, there is a lot to love about this quilt!

 


My favorite part of making scrappy quilts is pulling fabrics together that contrast and compliment. A lot of surprises happen there and we kind of develop our own taste and skill for selecting fabrics as we progress, I think. I make a point to work randomly as well which is what I did in the arranging of the blocks in this quilt. I simply put them up on the design wall as I finished them.


While I was near completely sewing the blocks and sashing together, I remembered a tin I had stored away of Civil War 5" charms. My original intent was to sew these together into quarter sewn triangle blocks. I had many already completed but had put them away as I lost interest. 


So I was delighted to find that they fit into a perfect border along the outside of this quilt. I had to sew in a few "spacers" at the corners to make them fit but it blends well enough and doesn't draw too much attention as an after-thought. (The feather pictured is for a future project. It was sharing the design wall at the time.) I think I had to dig in the stash for a few charm squares to complete the borders, but otherwise the bulk of them were already done. Bonus blocks I'd say!


The quilting was done by my friendly Long-Arm Quilter in a Paisley Feather design. And for the backing I used some yardage of brown border fabric. The label sewn in the corner is from a simple orphan block, framed with muslin for easy writing of signature. The binding was some leftover background fabric saved for just this purpose. It has all worked together to a fine finish. Thank you Pat Speth for your lovely pattern. 

 


So I can claim this as a finish. She measures 93" x 93" and I busted a whopping 16.5 yards of stash!  


I hope this has inspired you to finish a project that is sitting in a box on your shelf. Sometimes they make the best stories as you make additions and alter your original plans. Time can do that. 

Now it is time to make a Hummingbird Cake to celebrate.

Happy Stitching!




2 comments:

  1. I love your Stars Over Mitford quilt! I love the books too and re-read them all a couple of years ago. I bought the cookbook specifically to make the orange marmalade cake, which I have yet to do...it’s a little involved! I too have an “abundant supply” of 19th-century repros and have been going through my vast library of quilt books, trying to weed out for the Quilters’ Hall of Fame Stash Bash in June. Ran across that pattern and reminded myself it’s on my “want to make” list. Thanks for posting yours on Stashbusters, it’s beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue, for you kind comments. That orange marmalade cake sounds delicious and decadent! Maybe you will get the chance to make it over the upcoming holidays. The Quilter's Hall of Fame is on my bucket list. Oh! The inspiration, right? And to see all those great names would be such a thrill. You are fortunate to live in the city. Thank you again, Sue.

      Delete