Sunday, April 24, 2022

No Diamonds and No "Y" Seams

This was such a fun Bethlehem Star/Carpenter Star quilt to make, and it used no diamonds but half square triangle units and background squares. 

 

I have always wanted to tackle this pattern and this version surely made it possible with no puckers in the center. I highly recommend this pattern by Debbie Maddy at Calico Carriage.

 


It finished very large at 98" X 108" and I went through 20.75 yards of stash! It was my last quilt to be quilted by my dear friend and long-arm quilter, Wendy. Happy retirement, Wendy!



The original top was made probably 12 years ago (?) at a workshop with the ladies at Material Girls. It has been so long in fact, that I cannot remember why I added the extra solid black border on one end. I usually am satisfied with square quilts so what was I thinking? But I do remember the many varieties that were constructed that weekend. It is always fun to sew in a group.



I made a label for the back with leftover solids and prints. I decided to hand-sew a lemoyne star as that seems appropriate. It is appliqued on the back and then I quilt through several layers carefully so not to have those stitches show on the front. I'll sign and date it soon after posting this.

 


I am so happy to have mine quilted and finished. I wish I took more pictures while it was being made. Perhaps that is a good excuse to make another! I love these giant stars. If you are interested in making one yourself, the pattern may still be available. And Lindlee at Plains & Pine offers some beautiful large star patterns.  (I am not an affiliate. Just passing on info that may be useful).


Happy Spring! Everything on the homestead is waking up and beginning to bloom. We get our bees soon so we will be busy tending to the hives and planting the garden. I love this time of year, even though it takes me out of the sewing room. Hope you are making progress towards your goals.


Happy stitching!






No comments:

Post a Comment