Thursday, June 30, 2022

June Is Blooming with Finishes

Walking past this Wisteria smells amazing! The bees like it too. So the weather is really warm (hot), the gardens are growing, and the sewing room has been busy.

My last post I shared about making a quilt top out of old pajamas that belonged to my late and great dad. These remnants have been stored away since 1990 and I recently felt motivated to dig them out and cut into them.

 


 An improvised jellyroll race was decided upon and the strips were cut into 3 1/2" strips. 

 


I hand-quilted this top which was not too bad of a task because it only measures 48" x 61".  I used up an old spool of hand quilting, all cotton thread. It is nice to work with as it doesn't knot up like other threads tend to do. I love the soft finish that hand quilting makes. This will definitely be a cuddle throw quilt. 


 

I am pleasantly pleased with the end result. I wasn't sure about the colors but that is what makes a jellyroll race quilt project fun. You are anxious to see how it all goes together in the end. 


 

So this was a fun finish. It is now labeled and ready to gift to my sister in Florida. 

This project busted a total of 5 1/2 yards of stash.

-----------------------------------------

Another quilt that I can call a finish is my Hexagon Flower Quilt. Oh how I love this quilt! I loved sewing these little hexagons together. They were like potato chips - I just couldn't stop! And when I found the striped fabric at the LQS's shop hop I knew it would be a perfect pick for the border and binding. Phew! I just had enough too! And because I purchased it 4 years ago, there was no chance of there being more. Have you made this same mistake? It makes you hold your breath, right?


The Hexagon Flower Quilt was part of a stitch along at Kingfisher's in 2018. I like the Flowers for Eleni too as they are appliqued onto squares instead of diamonds. So if you would like to make this yourself, you could choose either block design. The hexagons were 1" and I got my free templates here.   You can read a tutorial on how to make these English Paper Piecing hexagons at Apple Green Cottage along with links to free templates.



I really enjoyed arranging these blocks, mixing and shuffling so they complimented each other. 



Do you recognize any of these fabrics? I really raided the scrap bin and a few fat quarters.



So happy to have this one done. It measures 80 1/2" x 83 1/2", and I busted through 13 yards of stash. It will be on the bed for the summer. I love how colorful and cheerful it is.


Happy stitching!






No comments:

Post a Comment