Monday, April 13, 2015

FAL Q2 Quilting Goals - 2015

We are in the second quarter of the year, 2015 - already! Since January, I have been busy and because of a long, cold winter, I was able to complete 6 tops and one quilt that is completely finished. Now to set my goals for this quarter my list is as follows:


1. Gideon's Chinese Coins Quilt has been sent to the machine quilter's so once it makes it back home I'll get the label on and the binding attached. So anxious to see this done. It began as a Jelly Roll Race quilt but I was not happy with the end result. I cut it into lengthwise rows and came up with the picture below. Our little happy warrior, Gideon, will love it! The prints are snakes and trucks and all things little boys love.



2. Abby's Wish has been sitting unfinished for too long. I was short on the sashing fabric and was waiting for the solution to drop from the sky but it never did. I've decided to follow the saying by Brenda Papadakis, "better finished than perfect" so a few sashes were made from an alternative fabric and I hope to have this quilted and done. All the blocks have been completed since 2002! That is 13 years ago! Really? Life is a blur... Hopefully I can squeak out enough of the solid green for the binding.



3. Jelly Roll Race Quilt is basted and ready to begin quilting. I will do the machine quilting on this once I decide on a quilt design.



4. Grand Illusion is still in pieced units but I keep plugging away when I am in the mood for repetition sewing at the machine. This is my 4th mystery quilt with Bonnie Hunter. I have attended her workshops and she is a sweet and encouraging teacher. I've always loved scrap quilts so she talks my love language.



5. Twirly Triangles is really a leftover of bonus HSTs from another project. I am waiting for more background that I ordered online and I will be back to getting this completed. Moda's solids are dreamy fabrics with such beautiful sheen and drape it is hard to believe they are cottons. I played around in Electric Quilt (I have the older v5) and came up with a nice setting for these. That is what's keeping me motivated. 




6. Susan McCombs Medallion has been giving me grief as I work to make everything fit. I contacted Susan recently and she was very kind and helpful in getting me unstuck. I am nearly ready to attach the Lemoyne Star block borders. All these are hand-pieced. Medallion quilts can be challenging - at least this has been for me.



7. Triple 4-Patch is a top ready for quilting. I don't know if I will find the time this quarter to finish it but I am going to try. I love this simple pattern and may try to make another. Have you seen the tiny version of this by Mary Elizabeth Kinch? This is definitely on my bucket list!


Well, that is quite a variety of things to work on for now (truthfully - I have about 30 more projects on the shelf). Gardening season is fast approaching and I will be splitting my time between the two with "The Garden" taking priority (because I hate working in hot weather). "The Garden" includes the vegetables, and the orchard, and the flower beds, and the mulched beds around the house...pretty much the whole homestead is considered The Garden at our house.  

Now to hop on over to On the Windy Side to see what others have put on their to-do lists.  I am so thankful to Adrianne for hosting this event and sharing her blog! You can follow her too for more inspiration and tutorials! 


2015 FAL at On the Windy Side





1 comment:

  1. I love that re-set of the jelly roll race! I may try something similar. Thanks for the inspiration! GOod luck with your Q2 projects!

    ReplyDelete