Tuesday, May 7, 2019

A Reluctant Shop Hopper

I told myself I was not participating in this year's Spring Fling Scrap Happy Shop Hop...but then I ran out of a background fabric for a little project I was working on. So off I went to my local quilt shop for more. The shop was open and passports to the shop hop were only $5. Each shop stamps your passport, and if you spend $5 you are entered into the store basket drawing for prizes! Well, I had to buy my background anyway, so why not add the passport and I can enter the drawing, and maybe attend some more shops. Well indeed I did! (It's a slippery slope)

Each shop gives all hop participants little bags of 2 1/2" squares along with the instructions/patterns for a little scrappy project. Well these bumped up my goal list and now I have several gifts finished and ready for giving. It has been a nice little break.


The first thing I made was this little pouch/cover for glasses. Using little scraps given with kitty prints I sewed in rows, layered with batting and backing, and quilted by hand. It was then folded in half and I used binding to finish the edges instead of having seams on the inside. A little button at the loop finished it off nicely.



Another project was this little pillow. Using the 2 1/2" squares that were given and 8 half square triangles, the base was completed. I added a little from my scrap bin for the stem and leaves, and the backing. It was sewn on three sides (after quilting), stuffed with leftover trimmings and bits of batting (from my sewing room trash bin) and it is complete. 



The next project were little squares of batiks. I had to use my own stash for the bottom, lining, and handles but not much. This finished into a little gift bag for stuffing with goodies. A fast and easy project. I'll be making more of these in the future. Instead of handles though, I am thinking of finishing like a Komebukuro.



Again, using the 2 1/2" squares from another shop I made this little table topper. So pretty and soft. And easy too using the disappearing nine patch technique. Can you see it? Jenny Doan has many videos explaining this easy technique if you would like to try one for yourself. I added the center yellow sashing just to use up the scraps. This piece was hand quilted, and is now ready for gifting.



I fell in love with this little project. And although it was a free project along with the bag of scraps, I purchased the kit to make it a spring-time accent. It is now completed and sandwiched for quilting as I work on it in the evenings. Can you spot my needle? It will surely bring some color and cheer to the table! I may have to "live" with this one for a year or two before giving it away. Do you do that too?


There are 2 other really cute projects that I accumulated on the shop hop and are waiting for my attention. A watermelon mat, and a fish shaped rice bag. I will post pictures once they are finished.  They are sitting on my cutting table to remind me to get to it.

Oh how I love these quick finishes! They are a nice interlude between the big projects but I must get back to the main goal list. Maybe I'll see you on the next shop hop in August. Perhaps my sharing the fun you can have will encourage you to buy your passport. The proceeds go to a local food bank so you are helping the community too. 

Happy stitches!




No comments:

Post a Comment