Monday, July 26, 2021

Trees for the Houses - Making it Fun

There have been many distractions and other commitments pulling me away from the sewing room this summer. I have been trying so hard to get this quilt to a flimsy stage. Then my heart was discouraged to hear that my long arm quilter is retiring in October. Am I being selfish? I mean, I am happy that she wants (and has worked for) more free time. I now need to find another long arm quilter that I can take my work to. I imagine there are a lot in our area thinking the same thing.  



I would love to take a domestic machine quilting class that use rulers to quilt. I was signed up before Covid19 hit. So there is that option too, but it would only be good for small-ish projects, and most of my quilts are large 90'x90" quilts. There is no way I am willing to wrestle that! If anyone has a lead to a long arm quilter who is reasonably priced, please leave me a comment below. (XOXO)  



Well I am onto working on my trees for the border of this "house projects" quilt. I made flying geese units that measure 2.75" x 5" (unfinished size that will measure 2.25" X 4.5" when finished).

 


I doubled up these units together and then sewed on a trunk piece that measures (2.25"x2.25") + (1.5"x2.25") + (2.25"x2.25"). Make sense? The two end pieces which are 2.25" squares are with background fabrics and the center piece is the trunk using a darker brownish fabric. 

 


The entire tree units should measure 5" wide by 6.75" long. I have them butted up on the design wall and not sure how many I will need but may use 1 or 2 inch spacers to make everything fit. This project is quickly growing in size which again as mentioned before, I will need to find someone to quilt it for me. 

 


I've really enjoyed working on this quilt. As like most scrappy quilts, it did not make a dent in my box of scraps! 

 

How do you rotate your scraps so that your quilts don't all begin looking alike? Cut into some fat-quarters to introduce new fabrics? Trade with friends? 

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment