Thursday, October 13, 2016

Finish Goals for 4th Quarter in 2016

Whew, I spent the day cleaning up the sewing room going through every drawer, and cabinet, and shelf, taking inventory and rearranging priorities. This might be a long list...Christmas is a great motivator!

Another great motivator is the Finish-A-Long 2016. It is a place to find motivation and encouragement to complete unfinished projects. This quarter I have listed the following with the hopes and determination to complete some finishes




1. Christmas Celebration Tree Skirt
This has been listed on my last two goal entries. I must really make this happen for Christmas this year. This project made me fall in love with paper-piecing. It can be time-consuming, but it is so accurate and there is a certain rhythm in the steps that makes it fun. I just need to sit down and "do it"!






2.  Medallion Quilt

The progress on this one is so slow. I have only two more Lemoyne Stars to piece together and I can begin to add this row. (see previous posts) This is not a top priority  but I listed it anyway with hopes of getting one more row attached. Even though this will not qualify a finish at the FAL 2016, I will be happy with the steady progress.









3. Christmas Simply Wovens

I started this project when this free pattern was featured at Moda Bake Shop. You can get your copy of the free pattern here. All cutting has been done with a few sample blocks completed. A few hours of marathon sewing should get this one done.



4.  Buggy Barn Baskets
 
Another incomplete project I picked up somewhere. Six blocks are already completed and a few more will make a large throw size. I love Buggy Barn Patterns and the fabrics are a Christmas collection from Kansas Troubles. This one will definitely stay at my house when she is finished! Maybe I'll choose a flannel backing to make it extra cozy.



5. Black & Red Checkerboard

Years ago we got a large floor size checkerboard game. Since then, the Checkerboard "rug" has disintegrated and needs replaced. An easy project, right? Yeah, if I could only find the game pieces now! Everyone in the house remembers this game but no one knows where it is hiding/stored. Go figure! I cannot begin this until I find the game so I know what size to make each square.



6. Pillowcases 
 
With so many fun novelty fabrics available on the market today, it is hard not to make a few pillowcases. These will make nice stocking-stuffers for the grandchildren. Scooby-doo, baseball, and airplanes make sweet dreams for the boys. Timeless Treasures fabrics launder so nice too. They should be sturdy and soft.







7. Name Pillows

I have been wanting to make these for some time now. The girls will each get their own body size "Name" pillow. Here are the fabrics I have chosen using colors in their room.  They will love this! I have no pattern - it will just evolve, one letter at a time! Wish me luck!




8. Let It Snow
 
A little embroidery on the borders and it is ready to frame. Low on the priority list, but I will enjoy seeing it on my sewing room wall.  Who does NOT love sewing when it is snowing outside? "Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but my fabrics are so delightful. I have no other place to go. Let it snow, let it snow, let me sew!"



 


9. Friendship Stars from Japan

I had each participant from this year's Quilt Workshop in Ishinomaki sign a star for me using japanese characters (kanji). I'll add 1" sashings and cornerstones to complete a small wallhanging. A perfect and cherished reminder of the people we met and worked with. 



10. Stash Busting Stars 

My first block is competed and I am committed! I could not resist starting this new project with Esther Eliu. I think she may have called it "stash-busting" because each block finishes at 21".  I've been pulling fabrics out of the stash in teals, red/orange, lime greens, and soft yellows. Each color row requires a fat eighth to a fat quarter so it will definitely bust some stash. It is such a nice project for evenings on the couch.


11. Quiet Book

Another project started and needs to be finished so I can empty my shelf of bright craft fabrics. The leftovers will then go into the box for making doll clothes. It is an old Vogue pattern purchased in the 1980's. Each page features a skill for small hands. An alligator's tongue "unzips" out of his mouth to lick an ice cream cone. An elephant wears rollerskates which have buttons on the sides. A giraffe has braids down his neck. Just plain fun! 


My design wall was taken down over the summer and I washed the fleece covering. It is all back together now and I almost hesitate laying anything up on it since it is clean and thread free.  It even seems to have more fluff and nap. It was definitely worth the work of taking it down and putting it back up. 

I'm joining the link up on Leanne's blog She Can Quilt.

What's on your list?


 










1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your list and thank you for taking part in the Finish-Along! (As for what's on my list: far too much!)

    ReplyDelete