Thursday, December 28, 2017

December Finish

Ribbon Star Variation - I am calling "Snowflakes"

This project came about from little $6 kits at my Local Quilt Shop. It was meant to be a block of the month (actually makes 2) but I stopped at 16 squares. I basically just wanted a throw size.

This Missouri Star pattern, Ribbon Star (found in Jennie Doan's Block book) was changed up a bit by adding a center square with sashings dividing up the block. Oh how I love that technique! 



I always seem to have leftover half-square triangles so I used a few as cornerstones in the sashings separating each block as shown below.


I added an outside border which makes the snowflakes "float" on the surface. (helps to use up the stash too!) 

The backing was a Timeless Treasures fabric that I found on the clearance table. It is so smooth and soft! I had to go back and buy more for a later date. Maybe make a few pillowcases?

So this marks my #3 finish on my Fourth Quarter Finish-A-Long. She finished at 74" x 74" and I used up a total of 13 yards. The batting was white Quilter's Dream. I really like how it drapes and since this quilt is white, it needed a white batting. I learned this the hard way - used a warm and natural in a white quilt and it showed through. So disappointing!

You can join us in this Finish-A-Long by checking out the She Can Quilt blog. Not only can you see what others have accomplished but there are prizes too!



 

3 comments:

  1. So pretty! Your little hst cornerstones add lovely movement in the negative space of the quilt. On behalf of the 2017 FAL hosts, thank you for participating in this quarter's Finish Along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! Clever use of the little HSTs in the negative space - creates lovely movement in the quilt. On behalf of the 2017 FAL hosts, thank you for participating in this quarter's Finish Along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! Clever use of the little HSTs in the negative space - creates lovely movement in the quilt. On behalf of the 2017 FAL hosts, thank you for participating in this quarter's Finish Along.

    ReplyDelete