Sunday, October 1, 2017

Fourth Quarter Finish Along for 2017

One last quarter to go before a new year. 2017 is speeding along and Christmas will be here soon. I hope to have a few Christmas finishes...I've often wondered if I chose to only sew with my Christmas fabrics all year, would I run out? Probably not, but it would be fun trying. Christmas quilts make the best "gifted quilt" because you can't go wrong with the colors whether choosing between traditional or modern fabrics.

My current Finish-A-Long List for this quarter follows. You can visit other bloggers taking this challenge or sign up for yourself at She Can Quilt or clicking on the Finish-a-long logo. Happy stitching everyone!




 
1. En Provence Quilt Top - so anxious to get this back from the long-arm quilter so I can give it to my darling grand-daughter who loves purple. The binding is cut and ready to apply, the hard part is done, so this should be an easy finish. (Finished here.)



2. Grand Illusion Quilt Top - ditto for this top as it comes home from the long-arm quilter. I am debating on using a scrappy binding or perhaps something in pink if I can find enough.
I made an error setting the borders on so I had to make my own fix rather than ripping them out. Once finished, let me know what you think as I will post a completed picture.(Finished here.)



3. Ribbon Star - this quilt began as a block-of-the-month at my LQS. The pattern is a Missouri Star pattern but I changed mine up a bit by adding narrow sashings between each unit. (a treatment I love). Don't you love Jennie's pattern books, "Block"? For no more money than a magazine costs and it is all patterns and uplifting articles. This pattern is from her Winter Vol 3, Issue 1. I have chosen to stop at 16 blocks. I am  half way there! It will make a nice throw size. (Finished Here)


4. Fall Quilt - for lack of a better name. I have accumulated a pile of fall fabrics and various patterns but am too behind in other projects to commit to making full size quilts using each pattern. I have decided to make several blocks of each idea and then combine into my own creative setting. This has really kept me up at night thinking as new ideas pop into my mind. So far I have a grouping of yellow dresden plates that I have had for probably 10 years and am making these precious Pumpkin Seed blocks from The Pattern Basket. I LOVE bird blocks and will probably incorporate some in there also. How fun! Aiming for a completed top by November. 


 
5. "Oh Meow" Cat Tablerunner -  by Half to Have Bloomin' Minds. Such cute and funny quick projects! This will be a gift for my darling niece who loves cats. Hope it makes her smile!  (Finished Here)



6. Christmas Celebration - from a Judy Niemeyer class I took. This is the year for this to be done! I love Judy's paper piecing technique and would highly recommend it if you want to jump into this type of piecing. I only have a few more sections to complete, then assemble and quilt. 




 7. Debbie Mumm Fleece Blanket - another project that I have had stashed for a long, long time. I have tried making one of these knotted fleece blankets before and I was not impressed. So boring! But since I already have the materials I may as well finish it. 
I think I would like to try the crochet type chain stitch (braided) for the edging instead of the knotted strips. Do you think that might make it a little less boring and perhaps a cleaner edge? (Finished Here)







8. Name Pillow - a Christmas project similar to last year's pillow only this one is for Abigail. This one is totally from scratch since I have not even begun cutting anything yet but I surely have enough fabrics to choose from! (Finished Here)




 
9. Christmas Wovens - this top only needs to be quilted...by me! Just straight stitching planned so it shouldn't take too long, right? 
I love this pattern and will probably try it again sometime. It is from Moda's Bake Shop where you can find lots of free patterns. Check it out for yourself! This one is a fun and innovative method to piecing. (Finished Here)




10. Buggy Barn Baskets - This top only needs to be quilted so it will sit by my chair for evening sewing. Hand quilting is so calming. I am using the "big quilting stitch" technique for this one. I thought it was an appropriate treatment for the wonky blocks. All made in flannel so this will be a cozy project.

  
Whoa! Ten projects for 3 months. This means about 1-2 weeks per project! I've probably bit off too much here but I always do. Let's get sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment