Thursday, January 17, 2019

Pillows and Feathers

Now that Christmas is over and all gifts have been given, it is safe to show my final finishes for 2018.

This pillow idea came from Penny Haren of Creative Grids. She did a workshop/trunk show at our local quilt shop and I fell in love with the idea of stacking 3 pillows on a wooden base. 




Now when the kids want to lay on the floor for games they have a cushion, and the pillows can all go back when finished for storage until next time. My husband made the bases out of birch plywood and glued mitered maple ends to the four sides. With 4 bun feet the base was completed.


The backs were made so that they can easily be removed for washing. (not shown here) You can find a tutorial on how to make an envelope backing here



My other gift idea was the feather runner. I really loved working on this project. Not only because of who I was making it for but because it such a clean and modern pattern. 
I used strips and strings from batiks and tonal prints for texture all in earthy colors. Stacked 3 blocks running in opposite directions with added sashing and borders. It finished at 22" x 67" and was all hand quilted. 





I should have taken more pictures. These are all I have and would like to show more of the quilting...Maybe for the next one, because I could make another! I really, really love this pattern.

On the back I wrote the quote:
"But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; 
they will run and not grow weary, 
they will walk and not be faint." 
Isaiah 40:31




I hope your Christmas and Holiday season was a happy and meaningful one. Here we are into 2019! May your days be filled with peace, and hope, and may your stitches be even, plentiful and your UFO's complete throughout this coming year!

Happy new year!










No comments:

Post a Comment