Sunday, December 30, 2018

Early Summer Fun

Along with the commitments I made on the 2016 Finish Along at She Can Quilt blog, I have also been working on some extra projects...

I love the fabric I found for this dress I made for my darling grand-daughter. The colors remind me of vintage tablecloths. It features open pleats on the bodice and sleeves and I found a little flower shaped button for the back closure. I barely had enough leftover for a matching purse so I made it a bit smaller than the pattern required. 

She was delighted with her new outfit and wears it often. Isn't it fun to sew for little girls?

I will soon be leaving for a trip to Japan. Dear friends of ours work at the New Life Center in Ishinomaki where the tsunami went through. The people in this area lost their homes and families. The New Life Center was created to be a place of hope that offers counseling and other needed services. It was one of the only buildings left standing. 

This August we will be hosting a Quilting Workshop as several people have shared a desire to learn this craft. Below are a couple of the projects we have planned for this time together making new friends in Japan.

 
This is my own personal design and I will gladly offer this as a free pattern once I get back. It is a small project since we our workshop is for two days, but there are several piecing techniques to learn. 

Another small item is this Dresden Plate table topper. It measures 20" in diameter and will brighten any area it is placed in. 

The old fashioned bow tie pattern offers many ways to set the blocks. This will make a charming project. 

All squares and half-square triangles, this runner has many alternative settings. Very basic but a whole world of options using these two patches. 

We have been working on notebook covers, pincushions, and sewing kits to present to each participant. I am so anxious to teach and learn from the people in Ishinomaki.








No comments:

Post a Comment