Tuesday, April 2, 2019

April Showers Bring May Finishes

I hope! Because I have not ONE official finish to check off my first quarter list! But I did have a finish that wasn't listed on the Finish-A-Long.

Sweet Tea finished at 67"x70", 11 yards of stash used up.
I fell in love with this pattern at first sight, and was able to use up nearly all the fabrics leftover from my Be My Neighbor .  The quilting pattern I chose is a long curly design and is "musical" to my eye. Sweet Tea is a bright and cheerful quilt for springtime. It was a fast finish too, so it's a good project for a needed gift in a hurry.  



-----------------------------------------------------

Now for my second quarter finish-a-long list :

I have been sewing like crazy to get my Blue Ridge Beauty completed into a flimsy. It is presently at my long-arm quilter's being quilted. This project grew to be a large quilt and I used up 19 yards of stash! I am anxious for it to arrive back to me as the binding is pressed and ready to be applied. This will definitely be checked off as a finish this spring quarter!


Finished Here!






Don't you love participating in a quilt-along? They have the same motivating drive as a mystery, but with "safer" results because you know what it looks like at the beginning. I also love quilts of many pieces so the Sew Many Strips quilt along at APQ really got my attention. So far, I have been keeping up and have all my pieces cut and small units sewn together. I am not sure if I will have it completed in the same time frame as the quilt along, but I am aiming to have it done during this quarter!  Just look at all those pieces! Each brick is 1.5"x2.5" and includes lots of "ugly" fabrics. (Bonnie Hunter quote: "if your fabric is still ugly, cut it smaller")




My youngest, darling grandson loves Minecraft and since moving up to his big boy bed, he has no quilt large enough to cover it. This project really got his approval! Seriously, I think it needs stitches (don't you love that name?) offers a series of block patterns for a Minecraft quilt. So fun! So simple! I have the Steve block completed and Judah is helping me pick the rest of the blocks...including the dragon! This is an easy project but not really a fast one because of all the various custom cutting. 






Oh, another multi-thousand pieced quilt! I started this project years ago and pulled it out a few weeks ago for some easy, mindless sewing. I've picked up momentum and now I hope to have it ready for the long arm quilter later this week. I first saw this quilt in an old Great American Quilts book (remember those?) It was made by Ruth Yarbrough and is titled, Frank Stella Quilt I. Ruth made hers using 1.5" squares, but I used 2" squares (unfinished size). I have only the final outside rows to sew on and she will graduate to a flimsy.

Finished Here!




The down side to making scrap quilts, is that they produce MORE scraps! Have you noticed that? I found a great cheat for using up old scraps along with thread trimmings and other scraps that go in my little trash bucket by my machine. I am making a Pretty Pouf Ottoman and stuffing it with those remnants!  You know the kind - sewing trimmings that would ordinarily be thrown away...and even some old scraps and batting pieces that I just don't want to see anymore. Not only am I busting some stash, but I am recycling too!  This is a free pattern at BH&G. I cut thick interfacing for each section so it does not look lumpy when stuffed. I think the pattern recommended burlap but this is what I am using. I will probably have enough "scraps" for 2 or 3 of these. A great Christmas gift idea.  
Nearly Finished Here!
 





I am in love with black buffalo plaid. I ordered some in drapery weight and am making lined curtains for the dining room. I have often found that curtains punch up on the sides if the tension is too tight on the machine so I have hand-sewn these. The header and rod pocket will be machine sewn though. I have enough leftover material to make a valance for over the kitchen window so these two rooms will have some unity. 

Finished Here!






Country Bride quilt has been trimmed and squared and the backing is pressed and ready for the quilter. This is a project that is long overdue!




I am slowly making headway on the Patches in Blue quilt along with Edyta Sitar. I've stalled because of the applique handwork. Once I get over that hump I will be assembling the blocks together and making the borders.


Its not too late to make your list and post it at The Thistle Thicket Studio's Finish Along. You might even win some great prizes!







2 comments:

  1. Lots of potential beautiful finishes. LOVE your Blue Ridge Mountain. It really caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, so many beautiful projects, with several sooo close!!!! My first Q2 finish was not on my Q2 list either...must be a trend :) Best of luck on your sewing ventures! On behalf of all the Finish A Long hosts, thanks so much for joining us!!!!

    ReplyDelete