Monday, August 12, 2013

     Another quick entry on my progress working on Esther Aliu's Love Entwined BOM before our next part is posted. My compass is completed (hand pieced), the ring is attached and has the seam allowances basted under - ready for applying to the background. My little dots are appliqued. These little puppies were a challenge to be sure! I gathered the raw edges as you would for making yo-yos and appliqued them down. Of course I read a better way to do these after I finished, but they are done.


Back side of compass



     My mother always told me that the back of your needlework should be as neat as the front. This definitely is the case with piecing and pressing seam allowances. I lightly whip-stitched the edges also because I am so obsessed with hanging threads! Silly.


     My yellow center star seems a little "blouse-y" (for lack of better words). I think I may baste some batting to the back - kind of my own trapunto. Another technique I have never tried. The first of more to come as I work on this quilt. Was this coverlet quilted? Or was it a summer cover with a backing and no batting? There is so much applique that I am wondering if there will be any room.

    
     The center square is prepped and I'm beginning to get everything placed. See my curly 6-petal flowers? They will lay flat once they are basted. I have 8 zig-zag units prepared but not pictured. What? I think there are 160 so I have much catching up to do!! And part 3 is coming this Thursday.

     Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you, Esther Aliu, for making all this possible! It is a joy to be part of this process.


3 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful already! The compass will really radiate when it is surrounded by that lovely blue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great Krissy! I am hand piecing my compass too. Thanks for showing the back, it helps to see how you've pressed it. Your stripe fabric is fantastic in the compass! It draws the eye out. The fussy cut circles and cones are great. I hope you share it on the Yahoo group albums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Beth and Jane. I really appreciate your positive comments! This quilt by Esther Aliu is so beyond anything I have ever done. I have already learned a lot by watching and reading your posts. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete