Wednesday, January 15, 2014

An Easy First Finish for 2014

I am so happy to have this one done. It was nicely machine quilted by Dottie at Just Quilt It Quilt Shop and is presently hanging in her shop as a "sample". The pattern is El Dorado Canyon and the fabric line is Stonehenge's Woodland.


I've been wanting to make something using these fabrics so when Dottie asked me to sew this one up I was thrilled. 


For the label I used one of the tree sections from the border, then using a pigma pen, I added the verse from Psalm 1, "He who meditates and delights in God's law is like a tree planted by the rivers of water. Whatever he does will prosper." (my paraphrase) 

 
Then, of course I add my name, date, and hometown. 


The label on Abigail's quilt has the priests blessing from Numbers 6:22-27. I made four miniature pinwheel blocks with leftover fabrics from the top. This fabric is one of my favorites because it is the scraps of a maternity blouse I made when expecting Sarah, Abigail's mother. Unfortunately, I cannot find a photo of this quilt finished. I'll have to take a shot the next time I am visiting for my scrapbook. Do you have pictures of all your quilts too?



Bonnie Hunter's Christmas Lights Mystery Quilt was completed a couple of years ago and I gave it to my niece. Here I made a label for the back using a simple nine patch block and included my rubber stamp of a girl doing her needlework.


So labels can be as simple or ornate as you desire. I think using leftover scraps and a miniature block that compliments or replicates a piece of the front is a fun addition to the work. Ideally, it would be perfect to have the label attached to the backing before it is quilted but by stitching it on afterwards I am sure it is where I want it, and is square to the edges. Once it is "appliqued" on, I use accent quilting stitches to secure it in the middle without going through all the layers.

I hope you are motivated to create your own original labels for your quilts. It is never too late to add them. Have fun, and share your work with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment