Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Another Snow Storm - Another Finish

March is not going out like a lamb here. We are expecting another accumulation of snow tonight and I got the motivation to finish my Border Creek Mystery quilt from 2013. It needed the two final borders to be sewn on. This quilt finished at 78" x 78" and I was stalling on its finish as I contemplated purchasing more of the border print to make it larger. It is finished though and it will make a nice large throw over the bed.


I love the fabrics that were chosen - Moda's Cinnamon Spice by Blackbird Designs. The colors are soft muted shades and the fabrics handle so nicely. Just like all Moda fabrics! I found a nice dark green mini print that will be used as the backing. It was in the clearance room at 40% off so I could not resist. Off to the long-arm quilter to be officially completed!



Another finish that I made mention of in my last post was Lori Smith's sampler. This quilt was a block of the month at our local quilt shop. The setting for this quilt was originally with blocks arranged in rows of 3 x 4 with sashes separating them. I liked this setting much more and again it made a square quilt. 


The colors are richer than what is pictured here. And the border fabric is a mustard yellow. I had enough border fabric so I made the backing entirely using the left overs. It matched nearly perfectly so it is hard to find the seams joined together. Perhaps I will make some pillow shams but...I don't want to get too cutesy! What do you think?  Either way, It is going on our bed in May.

It feels good to have a change in "scenery" in the sewing room. The design wall is ready for the next project to be hung up to inspire me. I'm not going to "wonder" too long on what to work on. Momentum is still humming!



No comments:

Post a Comment