Thursday, August 13, 2015

Strings and strips

I feel like I opened Pandora's box. I've been saving 1" to 1 1/2" strips for some time now and because I picked up several yards of lightweight interfacing from a local rummage sale for 25 cents, I thought I would try a few string blocks using the interfacing as the foundation. Well a "few blocks" turned into 36! Oh what fun! Oh what a mess! I just could not stop!




There is even more of the same on the machine table where I work - they had to spread out to the floor. I guess there is no other way to work with these. These string blocks really are fun to make even though they are messy. The foundations are 12 1/2" so they will finish at 12". I am thinking of maybe adding some sashes...but will think on that some more. I found a nice black print I will definitely use for a 3 or 4" border. Because the design wall is full of blocks that I am presently sewing into rows, these are actually laying on the floor.




They all have a black print for the diagonal centers. This is a great project for using up some of those older, loose weave fabrics since the interfacing foundation gives it a little extra body and support. At least I think it will! I have never made these before so hopefully they will not give me grief when I machine quilt them. The interfacing is very sheer but I think I may iron the seams open when joining the blocks together so there is not a big bump.

So what do you do when you are finished? How do you store these skinny strings without them turning into a jumbled mess? I surely do not want to have to press them all when I decide to use them again so just tossing them back in the box is not an option. Good thing we like to fondle our stash, right? I spent some time stacking strips and laying these bundles in the box. I also sorted some of the shorter lengths as I went. A Pineapple quilt is on my wish list and these "shorties" will go first.



There is a little box of really really skinny strips. I have not idea what I will do with these other than perhaps make a few "promise stitches" pictures for gifts.




Any tips or comments you want to share? I'd love to hear from you! Thanks for visiting. 




"Walk with The King today, and be a blessing!"




No comments:

Post a Comment