Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Blue & Green Mystery Solved and Finished


This was number 1 on my list of goals for the 2nd Quarter Finish A-Long 2016. You can find my list here.


Silly Goose Quilts offered this as a mystery quilt in September of 2015. You can visit her here to make one of your own. It requires lots of piecing but I am drawn to these types of quilts and hope you are too. It is always fun to mix colors. The border idea was my own. I had some leftovers (as usual) and played around to find something I liked. Sometimes borders can be the most fun!


This project finished at 88" x 88" (that is 352 total inches). It is composed of 1,629 pieces and used up 8 1/4 yards of backing fabric, and 7 1/2 yards of various blues, greens, and creams. A grand total of 15 3/4 yards of stash busted!


The colors in this quilt remind me of tropical waters. Twenty years ago I would have never dreamed of using blue and green in a quilt. Aren't we happy there are no rules today! 


The quilt pattern I chose from my long arm quilter was "Water Waves" which worked perfectly.




And the backing was pieced with fabrics from my stash that I have been trying to clear out. It is a bit more interesting than a solid backing. Do you agree? 

Those are teal blue and lime greens. I had to take an indoor shot since it is presently raining outside. 



Beginnings of this quilt are shown. All those pieces waiting for assembly. 





Now it is time to link to She Can Quilt's 2016 Finish A Long blog site. You can join us too as the linky party will be coming up next week for the next quarter. 















2 comments:

  1. Beautiful finish - I love the combo of blue and green in a quilt and the secondary pattern that is created. Great job with the use of your left overs too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely quilt it turned out to be - and your color choice is lovely!! Congratulations on your finish! Thanks for participating in the 2016 FAL on behalf of the global hosts :)

    ReplyDelete