Monday, January 31, 2022

Snow Days are Sew Days

We have been finally getting snow at my little piece of the rock. Yeah, I belong to that tribe that loves snow and snowy days. The wonder and the quiet of it all just amazes me. This was the view we awakened to this last January morning of 2022. Frozen fog as the sun just began to melt it off. I hope you carry this verse with you throughout this new week.

It has been a busy month in the sewing room. I have a finish to declare. It is my Patches in Blue quilt a-long with Edyta Sitar in 2018. (pictured before the big snowfall)

 


This quilt features a block from each project in her book. There were definitely some favorites in there and I would like to come back and revisit for another quilt-to-be. Besides, I haven't put a dent in my stash of blues.

 


 I love this feathered star block. I dressed it up a bit with a "snowflake" I made using 1/2" hexies. Do not attempt this if you cut your nails! Those little bits were hard to handle but so worth the effort I think. 


And of course I am a big fan of house blocks. And the baskets and birds warm my heart too. I made my own applique sticks instead of using Edyta's fusible appliques. I cut 3/4" bias strips, sewed 1/4 from one edge using a tiny running stitch. Then folded over and under another 1/4" to tack down with an applique invisible stitch. A bit more work, but I like the result.



I really liked the design of the top left block. It is titled, Frost and would make a lovely quilt using this block alone. 

 

And yes, those Blue Bell Flowers are a favorite too! I have that Lily pattern listed at the top of my Wish List. I added a few more hexie snowflakes to fill in some white space. 

I loved the border she suggested too. I forget how many HSTs were needed but it was in the hundreds. So...this was the perfect quilt to have finished this month of January.


I hope you are making progress with your projects and goals for the month and/or year.

 

 






No comments:

Post a Comment