Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Still in the Running for 200 Yards

I accepted that Challenge a few months ago - that of busting through 200 yards of stash. I think I might make it mainly because I found a really fast and efficient Long Arm quilter (and I have so many tops to be quilted). I am very happy with her work but I can barely keep up with her! Every 2 or 3 weeks she calls to tell me my quilt is finished and ready for pick up. I presently have 2 quilted tops waiting for their binding to be sewn on and I pick up another tomorrow.

But I am getting ahead of myself. Today, I can report a lovely finish that I call Bricks and Pinwheels. Do you know another name for this block? This top was made with beautiful bright fabrics (I can't remember the line) and the pattern really works together for a bright and sunny quilt for summer.



It measures 80" x 80" and I used up 14 yards of stash.

 


The back shows a miniature block made into a label. I love making these kinds of labels. 

 

I debated on the binding to use on this quilt. I found a bright orange polka-dot that would have worked but decided on a plain white binding so it would not compete with the patched border design. 




Another finish that I almost forgot to report is what I call my Purple Fasset. I love Kaffe Fasset's designs and these purple and green prints are so pretty. It features friendship blocks in the center and borders with striped fabrics and a large flowered print. This quit finished at 66" x 74"  and I used up 10 yards of stash.



I only have these 3 pictures because it was gifted to a dear relative very soon after it being finished in early September.


I made a complimentary label using some of the scraps leftover from the pieced backing. 

 


So this month I can add 24 yards to my running total bringing my grand total to 123.75 yards!

--------------------------

We have been busy canning and freezing what we cannot consume fast enough from the garden. This year we grew Seychelles pole beans and they have been so very productive. Two 6ft rows have yielded 16 quarts of green beans, numerous servings fresh picked before dinner, and several bags full for friends and family!  We will definitely be planting this variety again next year. 


Another huge task has been our yearly yard sale. Sheesh, I am getting too old for this. We are not hoarders, and I am not a messy, but we do have too much stuff in our attic and basement. It felt good to give things a new home for others to enjoy. 

October is rolling in soon and we have a few chores to finish up before cold weather hits. I am looking forward to those "cooped up" days in the sewing room. Besides, I am itching for a new start. Do you get that feeling too? 

 

Happy stitching!

 

"Quilting evokes a tactile response that reaches both hand and heart." 

   ~ Donna Wilder, Quilters Hall of Fame acceptance speech, 

   November 4, 2000






No comments:

Post a Comment