Friday, February 24, 2023

A Brach's Jelly Nougat Candy Quilt

I loved working on this quilt over the years. It is made from the very smallest of scraps I have been saving.  I am naming this quilt Brach's Jelly Nougat Candies Quilt. Remember those? It was one of my favorites!


Sewn into 2.5" x 8" strips, then has sashes separating them into pairs per block as pictured below.


I originally gave up when it reached 69" square thinking it was large enough. It hung on its hanger to be quilted for the last year or two, but then I thought, 'what do you do with a 69" square quilt?' 

 


So I went back to the sewing room because I never seem to run out of scraps, and I made more blocks to extend its size to 85" x 91".  It now fits a queen size bed nicely and I busted through 17 yards of fabric to complete it.

I always marvel at the complexity and combinations of colors, and the weight of a quilt while sewing on the binding. It sometimes can be a wrestling match. And lets not forget the excitement of playing chicken with your thread, bobbin, and/or binding!


It is fun to anticipate sitting under a quilt while sewing the binding on in the evenings with the hubster watching TV.  Handwork has always been relaxing for me. And TV not so much.

The label is ready to be signed and a Scripture verse added in its margins. It is made with a few extra pieces in a miniature block to match the front of the quilt.

My Long-arm quilter, Tina, does such nice work! But I forgot to write down the name of the quilting design....again! 


Do you recognize any of those scraps from your own stash? I think it is one of the most enjoyable parts of working on a scrap quilt - to come across long forgotten scraps from previous projects. They bring up many happy memories and I never tire of it.

So this is my finish number #3 for 2023 and it is a keeper. It fits so nicely on our bed and I love touching it as I walk by.

Happy stitching!





2 comments:

  1. It is a perfect size now since you added more blocks. Great finish. It is a really cool scrappy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really like this!

    ReplyDelete