Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Breaking the Rules

There are always lessons to be learned and wishes for doing things differently afterwards - even in the quilting world. This quilt project forced me to break some rules in order to get it done.Two very important rules:
  1. Make sure you have enough fabric to finish the quilt as directed on the pattern!
Yeah, I missed that one. I loved the large print I chose for this quilt and used fabrics that coordinated nicely...except I did not have enough of the large print fabric! I went ahead anyway with the hopes I could squeeze and conserve the fabric to make it stretch. It did not, so I had to use a close match as an alternative in the sashings. If you look closely, you may notice the center pieces are just a little off. 

 2. Make sure you have enough fabric to finish the quilt AND use 100% cotton fabrics only.


Not only was the large print fabric short, but I also ran short on the green solid. I guess I could have used the alternative fabric I mentioned above for the binding but I was really stuck on the solid green.

Do you know how hard it is to find an exact match of a solid color of fabric? The closest I could come up with was a polyester-cotton blend. Ugh! There is a big difference in handling this type of fabric but I got through it and am satisfied that it is now completed. 

Here, she is hanging on the design wall ready to be sent out to my long-arm quilter. I chose a soft white backing that is so smooth and soft. 100% cotton, of course. "The touch, the feel, the fabric of our lives" Do you remember that jingle for cotton?







 Her finish with binding on. 




 And a couple of pictures showing the quilting design. 


 I love the swirls!



She is all ready to be shelved away for Abby. It had to be hers. The pattern name is Abby's Wish and you can find the pattern in BH&G Sampler Quilts, 2002.

Another finish in 2015. I can check off number 2 on my Finish A-long list. 


 

3 comments:

  1. I wandered all over your blog, enjoyed it immensely. I don't see the substituted fabric, your did an beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lori, for your kind comment! I have always heard you should not point out your mistakes but hopefully others can learn from mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete