Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Going Batty




I have a whole bin of batting pieces leftover from previous quilts. I've never had the heart to throw them away so I dug these out and decided to measure and label them for future use.




I even had enough pieces to make batting for 2 twin size quilts after fusing them together! To do that, I used 2.5" strips of lightweight fusible interfacing to butt and join the seams together.









Carefully butt the seams together so there is no ridge. You do not want a bump to show through your quilt where you joined these units together. While pressing I ALWAYS use a pressing cloth so not to melt the batting on the faceplate of my iron. Yuck! What a mess that would make! 







 You can also run a long stitch to add more strength but it is not necessary if you are careful handling the completed sheet. I used dark thread in this example to show the stitches I used. Keep your tension on the light side so not to buckle the seam. Again, you do not want this to show through your quilt.




Now you can make yourself a "freebie" from leftover batting pieces, and feel very proud that you did not add to the mountain of landfills! Let's dance!


One two three, spread out the cape
One two three, twirl round the floor
One two three, left foot you swing
One two three, then start to sing
One two three, loud as you please
One two three, counting with ease
One two three, doing the batty bat
Batty batty bat batty bat batty bat batty bat
One two three count
Batty batty bat batty bat batty bat batty bat
Won't you dance with me doing the batty bat?




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubrqYu_XVW0




No comments:

Post a Comment