Thursday, January 12, 2017

2017 First Quarter Finish Along

Happy New Year! Another fresh start of a new year which will hopefully hold many good promises and goals come true! I know I am looking forward to accomplishing more completions on my UFO list and even starting a few new projects (of course)

2016 was a productive year. I have a list of my finishes here. Now to list my top goals for the first quarter of 2017 and link them to the 2017 Finish Along.

 




1. Buggy Barn Baskets quilt top needs to be quilted. Last quarter I completed the top but there was not enough time for the quilting. I think I will use flannel as the backing for extra warmth and heighten the "cozy factor". I treated the borders differently than the pattern directed. I think I like this floating border better. Buggy Barn designs are so cute and easy to piece but there is a lot of waste. If that is something that would bother you, you have been warned. :-)



2. Rose Wreath - blocks are done, it just needs assembled and quilted. I love red and would really like to have this finished to enjoy for Valentine's day. I plan on hand quilting this one.




3. Japanese Friendship Stars are a carry over from last quarter. Blocks need to be sewn together with some kind of setting. I have a special hanger for these so I am looking forward to seeing this finished and displayed.



4. Alley Kats Pillows and Matching Quilt - these are nearly done. Just a little more quilting, and binding, and stuffing of two pillows. So cute!

This was a pre-printed kit by Springs fabrics (are they still in business?) purchased many moons ago. I know it is "country" but I like it anyway. The hardest part was just finding enough buttons for the eyes. And there is a basket around the house somewhere for those kats...
 

5. New Year's Eve Mystery - this was the first time I participated in this event and it really was fun. I already had a layer cake package, along with a few complimentary fabrics so the planning was already done. The week before, the cutting instructions were posted so on new year's eve, it was marathon sewing and trying to keep up with the clues as they came up. Anxious to get this done and sent to my long arm quilter.




6. Umbrellas - an unfinished class project. I did not care for Leah Day's butterflies so I used an applique umbrella block instead. This block was taken from my local quilt shop's Row by Row pattern when water was the theme. 2015? Anyway, the colors, fabrics, and pattern are all coordinates from that year.  (I wonder what this year's Row by Row theme will be)







7. Grand Illusion I really need to get this one completed. At the very least get it into a top ready for quilting. Such pretty colors I really do not know why I have not finished it yet ... although I may stall on some time working up a different sashing treatment than what Bonnie has designed. 




8. En Provence Mystery Quilt - it is beginning to become a tradition at my house. Participating in Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilts in November are always big temptations. I know why she picks this time of year, but it is hard for me to begin new projects with preparations for Christmas demanding my time. Thus, as I cut and sew a few steps when her clues are posted, I know it will not get serious effort until after the new year. So here we are with another huge project waiting for completion. My darling grand daughter just had her room painted so these colors will work perfectly with what she has chosen. (my incentive) 


 
Well, there is my list for the first quarter of 2017. I know there is a lot to complete here, but I am stocking up on some good audiobooks (just finished "American Heiress", by Jeffrey Toobin) and hoping for some snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment