Monday, January 23, 2023

Making a Fidget Quilt

This has been a fun and challenging diversion of new year goals. It has not been a project that I was planning on, but made on a whim when I realized it would be a blessing to a loved one. There are so many ideas online and pinterest,  and it quickly became overwhelming. So I just jumped in and began making elements to sew onto a 20" X 26" base. It evolved into the following...

I began by choosing a Corey Yoder fabric line, Beautiful Day and mixed it up with some from Sweetwater's Renew. All very bright and cheerful colors that palyed nicely together!

I was aiming for an apron type lap covering. Something that could be tied around the waist so it wouldn't slip off her lap. The first element I made was a fur lined pocket. I remember coming across this remnant of fur recently. It was leftover lining that my mother used for a cashmere coat she made for her granddaughter back in the early 70s. That coat sure made it rounds from grand daughter A to grand daughter B, then grand daughter C, and finally great grand daughter! It is hanging in my closet waiting for my own first great grand daughter. Anyway, I think this pocket is dreamy soft and will get lots of pets and hand warms.


I found a miniature Dresden template in my drawer so I made a few fans. I split them in half and sewed them on each side of a mini patchwork square. I lined this and made it into a small pocket too. I had found a small kitty "patch" in the store that I attached to some fur remnants for a little finger puppet that fits perfectly in that little pocket.

 

Then it was onto a few patchwork squares and after sewing them together, it determined the width of the apron quilt.  I appliqued this onto the background fabric and edged it with rick rack. Wrapping that rick rack with decorative cording and ending with buttons and tabs. Two rings on a rope were applied on each end and I found a pretty little butterfly slide that I put on ribbon and sewed down in the center. 


I cut out 1/2" hexagon paper templates (because I LOVE to make little hexagon flowers) and english paper pieced these together to make 3 flowers. I arranged them into a curved setting and tucked in some miniature bright green rick rack along with a couple of beads and ribbon tabs for extra interest. 


Remembering I had seen how zippers are applied to small bags, I sewed tabs on each end of a zipper, making it a bit shorter. I added 2 pieces of fabric to each side and sewed them together in the back to make a small pocket. I lined this will some soft fleece I found and added tabs on each end while also appliqueing it down. (Sorry, picture is upside down)

I found some pretty floral ribbon that I made into a woven area and then wove a line of threaded pearls throughout. It was sewn down with a few sequins and a glass button on the far end.

Another find in my bag of goodies was a doily from somewhere that was not finished. I made two yo-yos and appliqued them on top, and then wove some golden rick rack around the borders. Topped with 2 pearl buttons it finished as another little element.


I lined this apron with white flannel and backed it with white muslin. I didn't want it to be too heavy by using batting, but with all these elements, it needed some extra support. I sewed the top, flannel, and backing together in a pillowcase fashion so I would not have to bind the outside edges. The top was left open for the waistband and ties. 

The quilting was fun as each area determined how to fill it in with stitching. This was probably my favorite part. I did not use tiny stitches but opted for larger, and somewhat even stitching. Ugh, at this point my fingers and hands were so sore. 

Years ago I made mermaid tails for my grand daughters and I had lots of sequins, beads, and other embellishments saved for a time such as this. I am glad I kept those as they came in handy with making this little fidget quilt project. I sewed sequins along with my stitching at random areas for extra sparkle. Can you spot them?


And along the left side I sewed on plastic loops. These lay down one way or the other. And I had just an inch or two of threaded pearls leftover so I hand stitched those down also along with a little tassle.


The waistband was sewn on and I used ribbon as ties. Perhaps these will be cut off if they become a nuisance. All is well. I hope it brings rest to anxious thoughts and entertainment for busy hands.


Oh and how could I forget? I made a little pillow too with reversible sequin fabric I found at Joann's! I bought a four inch wide piece and still have enough to make one for me too! <very big grin> Who can resist playing with this?


So she is finally finished after taking me a solid two weeks of constant sewing. And boy, are my fingers sore! But worth it all...and NO, I will not make another.


Now onto completing my first quilt finish for 2023. I only have the label and a corner to finish sewing on the binding. And my long-arm quilter just called to say my Alternate Coins quilt is ready to pick up. 


Do you think I can finish 23 in 2023?  Uh, probably not, but maybe I can get close...if half of them are potholders, right? 

And speaking of potholders, look what I found in a box of stuff the grandkids left behind (or forgotten). It was such fun to sit and weave a couple of potholders while a pot simmers in the kitchen.

 

Little Bosco has become my favorite companion there in the kitchen as he hopes I drop something yummy from the counter! 


Happy stitching. 




No comments:

Post a Comment