Saturday, March 30, 2024

My First Finish - and it is March Already.

It seems I am a bit slow in getting my projects to a finish this year, but slow is still progress, right? This quilt began in 2016 as a New Year's Day Mystery with Merry Mayhem. I think this might have been my first mystery I participated in with her. I am very happy with the final quilt.

The original directions were for 4 blocks in a row with wide rows on each side for lots of white space. It was really quite pretty, but I fell in love with these star blocks and decided to make 12 more for my own setting. 

I copied the center star as cornerstones in the sashings for some extra interest and expansion of the design. It is very scrappy and made with reds, greens, golds, and browns. I also used various beige and cream fabrics for the backgrounds. 

The backing is a plain muslin and the binding I used was a print that had all the colors I used in making the stars. Strangely, that was the hardest decision in finishing this quilt as I debated between a plain cream binding (safe choice) or go with framing it by using a multi-color print. It should have been done months ago! 


I sewed on a piece of the binding fabric diagonally in one corner to partition off an area to sign and date the quilt. 

It finished at 85" x 85" and I used up 12 yards of stash. 

So I recommend Merry Mayhem Mysteries. They run each year with fabric requirements and pre-cutting the week before the new year begins. I have since participated in two other mysteries. Twist and Shout was done earlier this year and you can read about it here.  It still needs to be quilted.

Happy Stitching!

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment