Friday, April 5, 2024

Across Kansas Remake

During my recent endeavor to add up all the stash I have sitting on my shelves, I ran across a few forgotten UFOs. One of which was a box holding 12 bright yellow Dresden plates. Sunflowers. I've had these for years. I seem to remember purchasing them on ebay or maybe at a garage sale. The centers are cut out but not sewn on. The points need pressing. Just a little finessing is all they need...and a nice setting.


I have experimented with different ideas through the years. Pictured is a block I made using scrap neutral squares and then I appliqued the Dresden, or Sunflower in the center. Meh. Likely why I quit after one block. In the box they went, waiting for new inspiration. 

I combed Pinterest for ideas a couple of times and found a few I like - you know how that goes. But then I happened upon a pattern I tore out of an old Quilter's Newsletter Magazine from 1996. It was written by Faye Anderson and the pattern is called, Across Kansas. 


I am hooked! Unfortunately, the pattern as given in the magazine finishes with 9" blocks. Because of the fact that my Sunflower dresdens are 12", I have a problem.  My first attack at enlarging this pattern was to go to my EQ software. All was going well, except when I saved to my workbook, two lines separating the center squares would disappear. Perhaps I need to set up the worktable with more division marks but after 4 tries I gave up.

Now it is time to take out the trusty Quilter's graph paper by June Taylor, and say another silent prayer of thanks for the hand-sewing, quilt-drafting class I took many years ago. June? Are you reading this? If so, I love you!

I learned so much in that class. ANY block pattern you see, you can redraft, trace unto template plastic, add seam allowances and go! Yeah, its old fashioned, but it gets the job done. 


So now I have my templates made and cut out ready for my first sample block. I am so hopeful this all works because I really, really love this pattern! And did I mention that I have lots and lots of fall fabrics to use?

 


I did a little searching online and found that Kaye also wrote the pattern, The Early Bird Gets the Worm. Remember that one? So crazy cute!! I think it made the QNM cover one month.


And she also wrote the book, Applique Designs My Mother Taught Me to Sew. 


I own both of these items and I may have to give them a second look soon. Does anyone have information about Faye Anderson? Is she still an active quilter? She certainly was a talented one! I can certainly name three designs by her that I love!

So wish me luck as I dive into the fall stash and make my first test block. If you hear someone screaming in the distance, it might be me. Angles and arcs are not my strong point, but I am determined! Sometimes we need a little challenge, right?

Happy Stitching!


No comments:

Post a Comment