Friday, October 2, 2026

Finishes So Far

I can hardly believe that we are in the last quarter of 2026. Summer flew by and now we are in a grand rush putting things away and cleaning up before winter sets in. Do you, dear reader, find yourself super busy this time of year? The thing that gives me anxiety is the fact that as I age, it takes me longer to get things done. Not to mention I only have so much mental energy. 

So here we are, and I have been accomplishing a few finishes in the sewing room. I will write a new post listing my fourth quarter goals later. 

Gray Grunge Leader/Ender , I nearly forgot to report this finish.

I purchased this gray grunge fabric several years back and decided to just make neutral four patch blocks to alternate with the simple gray squares. I made a few snowball blocks as you can see and set them diagonally to add a bit of interest. It measures 90" x 90" and is seen hanging here on the quilt rack my son-in-law made for me. I've enjoyed looking at it all summer!

 ___________________

Strip It Earth, was completed and has been laying on our bed all summer. 

This lovely quilt finished at 94" x 94" which is the perfect size for our queen-size bed. It was all done in solids with Parchment colored Kona for the background. And the label was made using the same block pattern only miniature size. It's so cute!

______________ 

2026 Guild Challenge Tote, using the feature fabric in the hexagon flowers and on the straps.

I used the thick foam stabilizer and it certainly gives the bag stability. These challenges are my favorite part at our annual quilt show. We have to incorporate at least 2 square inches into something we make. I marvel at the talent and creativity of the ladies and their entries.

And, of course, the raffle baskets are lots of fun too!

____________ 

250th Anniversary Tote Bag,  this is the second tote I have made this year so I think I am good for having enough tote bags.

 


This tote bag project was another workshop at our guild. It is always fun to gather together and sew up something nice.

_______________ 

2026 Winter Barn Quilt Wall Hanging, another guild workshop project.

I really loved this project! I love old barns and I love the snow so that was the direction I went in my making this wall hanging. I hand-stitched gray rayon thread throughout giving it a bit of a twinkle. I embroidered an owl in the moonlight and made a mini dresden to act as a wreath. I still have to iron on the rabbit appliques and embroider a few more wisps of grass on the left corner before our next week's meeting with show and tell. 

________________

Machine stitched Trees Wall Hanging, another guild workshop project. 

This is the project that gave me the idea and confidence to machine stitch the trees in the Winter Barn Quilt above. I pushed my comfort zone in choosing these colors. I have mixed feelings on the final result, but it is done and is hanging in the sewing room until someone says, "That is pretty!". And I will say, "It's yours!" 

_______________

And finally the best of all...

Uncle Sam on a Bicycle Stamp. 


This has been on my wish list to make for at least 20 years! It is a pattern from an old Workbasket magazine issued with a date in the 1980s. I almost gave up on it because it was so intricate to sew but I wanted it finished to enter in the County Fair this year. And to my delight, it won first place! 

His face, hands, and shoes were painted on. I embroidered the wheels, spokes, and other details. And he has actual sleeves and lapels on his coat.  (I did say it was intricate!)

All our fair entries this year. Hubster got a red ribbon on his turned bowl. My pumpkin quilt earned second place. And my Elderberry Apple Jelly came in fourth. (last year we won nada. Ha ha! )
 

 _____________________

No comments:

Post a Comment